Storytelling competences for adult educators in basic and civic education.
The StoryComp project developed a comprehensive blended learning approach with the aim of systematically establishing storytelling as a method in two areas of adult education: basic education and political education.
Storytelling is one of the oldest forms of education: Through stories, people have always shared their experiences, observations, insights, history, cultural beliefs and traditions. What is quite normal and entertaining around the campfire is still used far too little in adult education with its potential. Yet we know not only from everyday experience, but also scientifically confirmed, e.g. by the neurobiologist Gerald Hüther, how important the emotional level is for remembering: ” Everything that gets under the skin is inevitably better stored.” (source) But that’s not the only reason why content conveyed through stories is easier to remember: “Pure information has limited connectivity. But if you wrap it up in a story, you provide many connecting points to already existing memory content within its framework.” (ibid.)
Adult education can and should take advantage of this – and this is where the StoryComp project comes in. For this project, a European partnership of seven countries with experts in the relevant fields has come together to produce the following materials:
… as a basis for the StoryComp concept, which aims to provide self-directed training opportunities for adult educators in storytelling as a creative method for promoting competence acquisition among adult learners in basic education and civic education.
Download the StoryComp Methodological Framework in English.
2. The online platform.… as the “heart” of the project and a prerequisite for adult educators to be able to acquire the basic method of storytelling with the online course available free of charge and to have the necessary resources for its implementation and application in practice (European collection of suitable stories, video tutorials on techniques and methods, instructions for storytelling workshops, etc.). ) The platform will also offer the possibility of a virtual storytelling community where adult educators can network with others, share experiences and discuss.
3. A guide for storytelling workshops with adult educators.
… a practical, modular and therefore directly and flexibly applicable guide with the aim of motivating and guiding adult educators to train, deepen and improve their storytelling skills together with colleagues in workshops.
Click here to go to the workshop page with the complete guide for download as well as worksheets and videos on different topics.
All products of the project are available as open educational resources on the StoryComp platform, free to use and modify.
The target groups of the project, who will also be directly involved in the development and implementation of the project in all partner countries, are adult educators in the field of basic education and civic education. In addition, the project is also aimed at people who are responsible for the further development of educational concepts of the institutions and for the further training of teachers in adult education.
StoryComp – Storytelling competences for adult educators in basic education and political education
Funding programme: Erasmus+
Project number: 2020-1-DE02-KA204-007574
Thematic area: Storytelling, Civic Education, Basic Education
Project duration: 01.11.2020 – 31.10.2022
- Stadt Leipzig Volkshochschule, Germany(Koordinator)
- CVO VOLT, Belgium
- Die Wiener Volkshochschulen, Austria
- Fabula Storytelling, Sweden
- LU Jesenice, Slovenia
- PLATO, Netherlands
- Pistes Solidaires, France